The Eye of The Tiger

The Student News Site of Elkins High School

Breaking News

The Eye of The Tiger

The Eye of The Tiger

SkillsUSA Competition Prepares Students for Future Jobs

Gabriella Kyle

Randolph County Technical Center students participated in the SkillsUSA Competition last Friday. Events included cabinetry, welding, culinary arts, and robotics. Mr. Daniels, principal of the Randolph County Technical Center, expressed that the competition helps students build responsibility.

“It teaches leadership, it teaches teamwork, it teaches accountability, and it looks really good on a resume,” Daniels said. 

Mr. Clingerman was holding a competition for woodworking where two students competed against each other to attempt to make the best piece of work. With a designated amount of time. 

“The students in class have two hours to build their best piece of work to practice on, and when they go into the competition, they have exactly 8 hours to build and finish a cabinet,” Clingerman said.

The competition between students was judged by industry professionals. Winners of the school competition move on to the state competition, where they have a chance to qualify for the National SkillsUSA Championship this summer in Atlanta. Ultimately, Mr. Daniels points out that winning isn’t the only value of competition. 

“They’re getting a better understanding of how the skills they learned can help them when they get a job.”